Return surprise

All content copyrighted.


                                                                       pic credit*

She waddled in and smiled at the raised eyebrows. They could afford to look askance. She had mouths to feed and one more on the way. The prospect of painting doors in a large house made her head spin. She had to stem the rising nausea as she pasted down covering sheets and protective plastic. 7 bedrooms with 7 main doors,  7 closet doors and 7 bathroom doors...they said three bathrooms had two entrances. Sweet lord, she thought. There were just three people. Why did they need so many bathrooms?
Now she needed them. Her parents, her two children and she with her many trips to the bathroom all used one facility. Just one. What would she do when the baby arrived? For the hundredth time she wondered how her baby's father walked away as he had. She had stayed far away from all entanglements until he began pursuing her. He seemed so invested, so gentlemanly, so loving and accepting. Her parents had been duped too. They declared him worthy of their daughter. The only one to deserve that compliment since her beloved Fernando had left this earth.

There was a loud noise and a voice that laughed in shocked surprise, "Delia! Did you make this?!"

Carla stopped, nearly losing her lunch. The baby kicked and she wondered if it was in recognition. She had waited since the positive pregnancy test, through months of feeling rushes of love and betrayal for
Carla stopped, nearly losing her lunch. The baby kicked and she wondered if it was in recognition. She this moment. The betrayal came back in double strength. Baby kicked when he heard his father's voice. He hadn't kicked for her. She berated herself and her stupid tears the next moment and picked up the brush. How she ended up in his house she would never know, just as she wouldn't ask about "Delia" or the other feminine voice that tinkled through the house.

"Papa, do you like it?" Delia said.
"Yes sweetheart! It's the best one yet. When did you buy the plant to put in?" His voice sent shivers down her back.
"The neighbor gave it to me and I found the pot in a garage sale."

"Papaaa!!! You're back!" the tinkling voice, feminine, joyful hit Carla in the chest. Two girls calling him Papa. Where was Mama?
"Hi Sunshine! I see you girls took good care of home." There was a loud smacking noise, high fiving slaps and general merriment.
"You can't leave us for so long again. Gloria and I missed you so!" Carla peeked around a corner to see Delia wrestle a tall rangy man onto a fluffy couch. Her heart stuttered in recognition and longing.
"Yes Papa...we missed you and missed home. We got back two days ago and it's so good to be back. The painters are here for the doors. Why did you ask them to start right away? And why did you get that little closet by the master re done?"

Jackson smiled tiredly. The months covering piracy through different trade routes had left him empty and needing just one more warm hug from a particular woman. He hadn't left word before heading out to sea. It had been so sudden and he thought he'd cover just the Atlantic route but it had taken five whole months. He wouldn't be surprised if sweet Carla thought the worst of him. But he hadn't been able to send word to his own girls. It was time to mend fences and head in a meaningful direction with Carla. He knew she was ready for more.

"Can you girls help me unpack? I'm going to look in on the painters and take a shower. It would be so good to eat right after." He absently rubbed his flat belly, wondering what they could eat.

"I'll order Mediterranean take out," said Delia. 

"Yeah we'll pick it up too Dad," said Gloria, "Why don't you freshen up. Also, there's a lady in the painting crew. She's pregnant and I feel sorry for her working so hard. Do you think we should get her lunch?"

Jackson smiled fondly at his eldest daughter. "You're thoughtful...just like your Mom was. I'll ask her, maybe she doesn't like Mediterranean."

Carla, tears streaming down her face, thought that Mediterranean food sounded wonderful, and that she had to hide. There really was no where to go in the tiny half bath that she had been assigned to. She stood, waiting for the moment she would lay eyes on him, feeling terrified and hopeful at once.

"Hello," Jackson boomed as he rounded the corner to the half bath and froze, his eyes wide, his smile stuck between beginning and widening.

Carla took her mask off. She wore one to keep from inhaling fumes that would affect the baby. Tears chased each other down her pink cheeks and soon, Jackson's rough fingers were wiping them away.

"Carla," he said, unable to say anymore, looking at her belly and her agitated face.

His daughters came running, looking concerned. 

"Here, sit down. You must be so tired," said Gloria.

Carla shook her head but sat anyway. 

"Dad? What happened?" Delia's eyes were huge in her tiny face.

Jackson knelt and drew Carla into his embrace. "I'm sorry I left suddenly. It was thoughtless of me. I see that you must have tried to reach me and …God I'm sorry Carla. I'm so sorry!"

Carla sobbed harder at that. Did he feel sorry that she was pregnant? Didn't he know how much he meant to her? Didn't he know how much she wanted this baby? 

"I'm n..n..not!" Carla barely managed to get the words out when Jackson drew her up into his arms and went to the sofa. He smelled of Jackson, and clothing worn too long. Carla was in heaven!

He held Carla tight and spoke to his daughters, "I was seeing Carla before I had to go on assignment. I am going to marry her. You're obviously going to have a sibling. I was re doing the master because I wanted to ask her to marry me and was sure she wanted to marry me. Now I see we're going to have to hurry it up." 

Carla looked at their entwined fingers, felt the stress of everything draining from her body. Her relationship was alive, her painting business would thrive, her baby would thrive, she would make sure her family was well, and …. Delia and Gloria's bewildered expressions came into view.

She got up and pushed against Jackson's restraining arms.

"We had better explain from the beginning to your sweet daughters. You never mentioned them. Not in the three months that we knew each other. You met my whole family and never told me about these precious young women who naturally dislike me right now."

Jackson didn't look guilty as he said, "I had to protect them. They lost their Mom in many ways before she finally passed on. I didn't want to introduce anyone to each other until I knew it was safe. Apparently I waited too long."

Carla shook her head, took the girls by their hands and sat down. "My name is Carla...I have two boys...they're little and sweet and look just like their father who passed away when they were little. Your Dad is the first man after Fernando that I let myself love. I hope you can forgive the way this has happened. But I'm so glad your Dad is back in my life. This baby needs him.

Gloria and Delia held her hands and snuggled closer, saying nothing. Their expressions were thoughtful.

Jackson looked at his three best girls and felt like he had finally come home.

"Let's take a raincheck on the painting project. I don't want the baby to be exposed to all that toxicity. Tell me you haven't been doing this in everyone's homes!" He glared at Carla.

Carla looked on mutinously, "It's my work. My little business. We were short staffed today and I fill in whenever necessary. I can't afford not to."

"We'll hire more guys." Jackson said, easing beside the girls. Carla's tummy growled, his tummy growled in empathy and the baby kicked in response. 

"Now about that Mediterranean food..." Gloria said, grabbing Delia's arm and heading for the door. We will be back in exactly forty five minutes. Dad, you be ready. Carla, there's a little room next to the master that is so cozy. You need to sleep."

Jackson stared into Carla's eyes as the front door slammed shut. "The baby..."

"He is going to love being the center of attention."

Jackson smiled. A son! Three boys and two girls! 

He rubbed Carla's belly as he made plans for a bigger home. 

When the food arrived forty five minutes later, the girls found Jackson and Carla fast asleep in each other's arms. 

pic credit - https://photojeepers.com/10-practical-tips-for-babies-at-the-beach/

Comments