New Year's Resolve

All content copyrighted.


This January I have decided to focus on my body. In the way we used to. Mindful of what goes in, mindful of sleep hours, mindful of my mind. My mind - the fount of all the victories and tragedies of my yet half lived life.

The world sounds a new cacophony - the clamor to destroy quicker than another, quicker than one can even say "civilization!" I wonder everyday what we run toward, what we work for, and why we put our selves through the things we do. The bonds and dependencies that form a stable society must be trustworthy and healthy. The goals worthwhile and nurturing to our bodies and spirit. Unless one charts a unique course, separate from the pointless goals mushrooming everyday, it seems impossible not to be carried away by the mainstream.

Image *
It would be great to have a healthy mainstream. Full of ideals for mutual upliftment and all round benefit. But then, I sense that there is something else at play here; something that is not of our making, our choice, or even a part of most of our lives. This goes beyond the various forms of discrimination highlighted daily, and the various forms of injustices toward each person/group/race/gender, beyond economics and geography.

There is something else that is going on, unseen, not understood, and without any scope for its comprehension because we just don't think on those terms yet. As we hurtle from one seemingly disastrous event to the next, it seems vitally important to me to simplify. Simplify my life, my expectations, my interactions and go to the soul of any matter. To be honest, and waste as little time as possible.

I sound disjointed don't I? It's because I feel that way. Full of questions with a sense of impending, irrevocable change. It will be everything to simplify, and be true. True to what guides me, true to what brings meaning and true to where my heart leads me.

In all of this, I have to remind myself that fear is never the best perspective from which to view the world. Whether it is fear of people, fear of change, fear of a lack/too much power, fear of loneliness and a fear of intrusion from too many. Fear of death or fear of survival...fear of
too little or fear of too much. Fear of day and fear of night. There really is no point to it. Life will move inexorably toward a preset destination. I simply have to choose how to show up.

Happy New Year :-)

*Pic credit

Image - via www.freephotosbank.com; "Snowy Nizni Lhoty" by photographer Christopher Zacharia

Comments